What now?

Food, drink and books. One often inspires the other. Together they are magic .



Wednesday, May 11, 2022

These Precious Days served with Buffalo Cauliflower

 These Precious Days by Ann Patchett and served with Buffalo Cauliflower.   

I don't really read many essays.  In fact probably the only essays I've read are David Sedaris.   But, I love Ann Patchett and this book kept getting rave reviews on Bookstagram and it was recommended to listen to it.  I needed a new audio book so I downloaded it.  It was great!  It is read by the author and she does an excellent job.  Not every essay hit the mark for me but several did.    I loved the essay on her fathers and what they each mean to her.  I could so relate to her essay on remaining childless.  So many of the parts of that essay hit home for me.  Her essay on children's author Kate DeCamillo made me rush out to buy one of her books.  (That review will come next!)  and finally the title essay about her unexpected friendship with Sooki was the best.  Sooki was a friend that stayed with her those first few month of the pandemic because she was battling cancer at the local hospital.  She hadn't meant to move it but with COVID, everything changed.     That essay is 2 parts and the majority of the book.  It was lovely and heart breaking.  I wanted that friendship and it also made me do the ugly cry at the end.   These precious days indeed.  The essay will make you stop and just think about what you should be enjoying around you.  The people and the moment.  Ugh.   
 

Listening to this book was perfect as I walked and did house chores.  It was like talking to a friend.  I give it ⭐⭐⭐⭐.  This is a book full of 5 star essays with a few 4 stores tossed in.  

I decided to make buffalo cauliflower because Ann and Sooki are both vegetarians and they reference the challenge of food.  I eat mainly vegetarian but not completely.  I still will have the occasional hamburger when i go out to dinner but I don't prepare meat in my house.  Actually....  when i do prepare meat in my house it is 99% of the time seafood.   

Buffalo cauliflower is super easy in the Ninja insta pot!  

1 head of cauliflower - Chopped up into bite size pieces 

Mix 1/4 cup of cornstarch and 1/4 cup of flour together.  

shake up cauliflower in a large baggie with the flour mixture till all of the cauliflower is coated. 

Melt 6 Tbsp. of butter and add 1/2 cup of buffalo sauce.  (I use a milder version because i don't care for the super spicy.)  

Run the coated cauliflower through the sauce and place in the air fryer.  Cook for 12-15 minutes.   

Dip in Ranch and enjoy!  



No comments:

Post a Comment