What now?

Food, drink and books. One often inspires the other. Together they are magic .



Thursday, May 19, 2022

One Hundred Years of Lenni and Margot served with cucumber sandwiches

 One Hundred Years of Lenni and Margo by Marianne Cronin and served with cucumber sandwiches. 

This was a good one!  

Lenni is 17 and is on the terminal ward of the hospital.  There she meets Margo who is 83 and also in the same ward.  Lenni and Margot end up in an art class for seniors and decide to do 100 pieces of art to represent their combined 100 years.   The story goes back and forth from Lenni telling what is happening in the hospital and Margo's stories of her life.  We learn of a short sad marriage, a forbidden love and another marriage Throughout all of Margot's stories, we go back to Lenni.  Lenni and her friendship with Father Arthur and the nurses.  We see her struggles to stay alive and we feel the deep friendships she has made. 

While this book might be about some people dying, it is really about friendship and life and I really loved it.    I often find that we you have 2 separate storylines it is hard to get the reader engaged in both but the author did it .  I wanted to know about Margo's life but I also wanted to hear from Lenni.  I Loved both storylines.   

A strong ⭐⭐⭐⭐

I made cucumber sandwiches.  When Lenni visits Father Arthur in the church chapel, he tells her about his lunch everyday with is a sandwich.  I'm pretty sure he said watercress sandwich but not sure what else is on it.  To be honest, i wasn't exactly sure what watercress was.  I looked it up and it is a lettuce.   I decided to make a cucumber sandwich with a yummy cream cheese/dill spread.  It just felt like something Father Arthur would eat.  

I made a cream cheese, dill spread and sliced up an English Cucumber and there you go!  Enjoy 



No comments:

Post a Comment