What now?

Food, drink and books. One often inspires the other. Together they are magic .



Monday, May 23, 2022

One Italian Summer served with Lemon Torta Caprese

 One Italian Summer by Rebecca Serle and served with Lemon Torta Caprese 

This book had so much buzz on Bookstagram.   I was excited to read it and ended up having some mixed feeling about it.  

In a nutshell, Katy's mom has died and she is a mess.  She doesn't know how she will go on and decides to leave her husband and take the Italian vacation that she and her mother had been planning.  It is two weeks in Positano which was where Katy's mom Carol spent time as a young adult.   Katy goes and while there, she meets Carol, a young Carol.    The story is about the 2 weeks and Katy learning about her mother and coming to terms with her death. 

Here is what i liked, the Italian setting is wonderful.  I wanted to go there right now for a vacation.  I liked the magical realism and at first I wasn't sure if she was time traveling or imagining this or what.  I think it was a cool concept for the daughter to start to discover her mother, not as a mom but as a woman. 

What I didn't really like was the main character Katy.  She kind of bugged me that she just dumped her husband and left.  I know everyone grieves differently but she is like- I can't go on!  I just felt like she made some bad decisions.   

I'd give this 3.5 stars ⭐⭐⭐.5/5  

I've read several books in Italy this year and decided to go with a dessert for this one.  Found this delicious sounding recipe for Lemon Torta Caprese by Giada De Laurentils.   It was pretty easy to make and it is so good.   Just the right about of lemon and not too heavy.  I will definitely make it again. 

Lemon Torta Caprese https://giadzy.com/recipes/lemon-torta-caprese-giada-de-laurentiis/ 





No comments:

Post a Comment