What now?

Food, drink and books. One often inspires the other. Together they are magic .



Saturday, April 23, 2022

A Thousand Ships served with Greek Lemon Rice, chicken and a greek salad

 A Thousand Ships by Natalie Haynes and served with Greek Lemon Rice, Chicken and a greek salad. Oh this was sooooo good!  I listened to this on audio and the author reads it.  She is perfect! 


 

I read Song of Achilles earlier this year and Circe last year.  Having read those two, I knew many of the stories of the Trojan war and the heroes  within that war.  This telling is from the women.  Each chapter is a bit of her story and scene through her eyes.    We get Hecabe, Priam's widow, and Cassandra and Helen and even the Goddesses who started the war.  I think my favorite is Penelope's parts.  She is reading the letters she wrote to Odysseus as she waits for his return.  We hear of all of his adventures through her eyes and she calls him out for his arrogance and pride and puts him in his place.  And yet, she yearns for the return of her husband.  So many stories!   The stories are not told chronological so be prepared that it does jump around as a collection of stories and not a novel.    I really loved this one.  In fact I went out and bought her other book on Women in Greek Myths- Pandora's Jar.   

I highly recommend this one and I highly recommend it on audio.  I would be really interested in this has the same impact if you have read Song of Achilles and Circe first.  These just feel like the perfect trio.   I kind of want to listen to it again!  

I was going to do Chicken kabobs and Greek rice but i don't own a grill and it feels like kabobs should be grilled.  Ended up just doing a nice lemon paprika chicken in the oven put it on top of the Greek rice.



 

I had some tomatoes and cucumbers, added some feta cheese and topped it with a little tzatziki sauce.   delicious.    For the Greek rice, 

olive oil in a pan.  add 1/2 an onion minced and some garlic.  I did 3 cloves because i like it garlicky!  

add in 2 cups of rice and stir until the onions are clear. Add  4 cups of chicken broth.  The recipe called for greek seasoning and i wasn't really sure what that was.  I did some dried oregano, dried thyme, some garlic powder, onion powder, dried parsley and salt.  

Also bought a bottle of Greek wine to enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment