What now?

Food, drink and books. One often inspires the other. Together they are magic .



Friday, April 15, 2022

The Ten Thousand Doors of January served with Jelly Donuts

 The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow served with Jelly Donuts.  

Well that was fun!  I kind of picked this book because I loved the cover so much AND I read A Spindle Splintered by this author last year and really liked it.   This one is about a young girl in the early 1900's named January.  She lives with her guardian, Mr Locke , while her father is off hunting artifacts for him.  She is sad and lonely and finds a door that takes her to a new world.  But, once she is back, she is locked away in the Locke mansion.   Without giving too much away, she gets a book that tells her the story of her parents and more doors! Turns out there are doors everywhere and they are being closed up for good!    There are several villain's here and a couple of heroes.  There is a chase and a little bit of love and some big action! 

What I liked, I really liked January ,Jane, Samuel and Bad.  They made a great team and I was rooting for them.  I enjoyed the story within the story.  The whole thing is super inventive and captured my attention.  I read this pretty quickly because once i got into it, I had to know what would happen! 

I did get confused more than once.  I don't read a lot of fantasy so a few times i was like... Ummmm what is happening here?  While the story within the story was great, it also added to some of the confusion. 

Really fun read and a solid ⭐⭐⭐⭐.  

I made Jelly filled Donuts for this one.  2 reasons, when you bite into a filled donut there is that surprise for what's inside similarly to when January goes through the doors. The other reason I made there is for the prompt on Bookstagram for a contest called "Donut judge a Book".  I can win some fun kitchen stuff.  
I used a recipe I found on Pinterest that i'm attaching here.  It was a bit of work because these are yeast donuts so we must wait for the rise!  I added some edible glitter and they were delicious!  

https://natashaskitchen.com/baked-donuts/







No comments:

Post a Comment