What now?

Food, drink and books. One often inspires the other. Together they are magic .



Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Broken Horses served with biscuits and coffee

 Broken Horses by Brandi Carlile served with biscuits and coffee 

True confession time.....   I didn't really know Brandi's music.  I knew who she was because if you live in Seattle, you know.  Seattle LOVES Brandi and is super proud of her.  I just hadn't taken the time to really explore her.  But I did know the Highwomen and was a big fan of the first album.   



My dear friend Sandy gave me an autographed copy of Brandi's book and told me that I HAD to read it.  I started it and then heard that she narrates is on audio and sings the songs at the end of each chapter.  I flipped to audio and went back and forth so I could see the photos' and hear the songs. Here's the thing....  it is like getting a lovely story of faith, love and success and a great album all in one.   I really enjoyed it.  The songs are lovely.  I enjoyed her struggles as a young person, the family drama,  her thoughts on religion, her love for Elton John and Dolly Parton, all of it.   Even without me knowing anything about her, I found the story easy to listen to and enjoyable.  If you can do both, the book and the audio, do it.  You don't get the photos in the audio so that's why the book was nice and handy. 

⭐⭐⭐⭐

At first I couldn't think of what to make with this book.  But in the end, I settled on biscuits.  The book just has a homey southern feel.  And yes, I know she grew up in the PNW.   When I think of country and the south, I think of my Nana's biscuits.  I wish I had spent time next to her making those biscuits but I didn't.  I was too busy eating them.  Over the years i've made a dozen different biscuit recipes.  Some were difficult and some were easy.  Most were just okay.  I moved to Pillsbury frozen biscuits a few years ago because they are just so darn easy and delicious.  I realized half of what I made wasn't as good as that.  But, for this book, I went back to a recipe that is pretty easy and tasty and probably my go to recipe since I always have all of the ingredients in my house.  (I'm always stunned when people tell me they don't keep flour or baking powder in the cabinet! how is that possible?) 

2 cups all purpose flour 

1/2 teaspoon salt 

4 teaspoons baking powder 

1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar 

2 teaspoons sugar 

1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter 

3/4 cup of milk. 

Oven 450 

Sift together dry ingredients.  Cut butter in with pastry blender or your hands till it is blended and small pieces.   Pour in the milk and stir until the dough sticks together and pulls away from the bowl. 

Put on a lightly floured surface and knead 5-6 times.  Don't overdue it. Pat into a square approx 1/2-3/4 inch thick.  You can use a biscuit cutter here if you want round biscuits but I use my pastry cutter and cut it into 16 small biscuits.  IF you want larger biscuits, cut into 9-12 pieces.   Place on an ungreased pan not touching but close enough. Bake 10-11 minutes or until golden brown.  Try not to eat all of them at one time! 





No comments:

Post a Comment