What now?

Food, drink and books. One often inspires the other. Together they are magic .



Sunday, February 2, 2020

The World that We Knew- Alice Hoffman . Kugel, Potato and Vegetable

I adore Alice Hoffman!  I had read 13 books by her and just finished number 14.  The World that We Knew is so wonderful and that I  read it in 3 days.  Once I started it was hard to put down.  I love the magical realism she weaves in the books and in this case it was a "Golem" , a mystical Jewish creature.   The store is told from the view point of the major characters- Lea , the young girl whose mother sends off to France to save her from the Nazi's.  Ava, the golem created to save Lea.   A creature made of clay with no soul but starts to feel love and sadness.  And finally Ettie, the Rabbi's daughter who creates the golem and is then on the run .  She joins the French resistance and waits to become a fighter.   The book is sad and lovely and wonderful.  Of course there are tough parts because this is a WW2 book and you know there will be lots of death.  But the Golem adds such an interesting twist as she starts to become more human and develops  a wonderful  connection with a Heron.   There are so many other memorable characters that you want to know about each of them.   Loved this book so much.  I gave it 5 stars!  ★★★★★

I have always had a great love for the Jewish religion and culture.  (Some of you might know my story of pretending to be Jewish in high school)  I think it started with reading the All of a Kind Family series as a child.   It is a series about 5 girls growing up in NYC at the turn of the century.  They are Jewish and you learn about their holiday's and over the course of 5 books you watch them grow up and love them.   I highly recommend these books to anyone with a young person in your life and even if you don't, I think adults will enjoy them.

I decided to make Kugel in honor of the book.  I actually made 2 kinds of Kugel.  One is a Cheesy Potato Kugel.  It turned out pretty good!   I posting the link to the recipe below.  Next time I would change 2 things-  Less garlic  and more cheese.  Besides that it was good.
I also made a Vegetable Kugel with Caramelized Leeks.  This one was good but I didn't love it.  It has leeks, sweet potato and zucchini.   I liked it but once again I thought it had too much garlic in it.  I also just didn't find it super flavorful.   I couldn't find Matzo Meal in the store so just used bread crumbs.   I think I would double the bread crumbs and cut the garlic. 
Both recipes are below. 
I had planned to make Chocolate Babka but I didn't realize that it needed to rise overnight and I waited to start mid-day.   I think that will have to wait for another day!

Cheesy Potato Kugel

Vegetable Kugel











No comments:

Post a Comment