What now?

Food, drink and books. One often inspires the other. Together they are magic .



Sunday, February 16, 2020

The Dutch House! And a Dutch Baby Pancake

I'm really starting the year on a high note!    I've finished 5 books this year so far and 2 of them I gave 5 stars to.   Last year I only gave 5 stars to 2 books for the entire year. !  I'm hoping it is a sign of things to come and this year will be full of great books.
I finished up the Dutch house a couple of weeks ago.  I adore Ann Patchett <3  .   I read Bel Canto years ago, read Commonwealth in 2017 and read Truth and Beauty maybe 12 years ago.  All were so good that I couldn't wait for this new book.  It did not disappoint.
The Dutch House is the story of a brother and sister who grew up in the Dutch House.  Their mother left them because she could not stand the house and their father ends up marrying a terrible woman who is obsessed with the house.  The story is told by the brother and takes us through their life over the next 50 years.  The house has a hold on them.  Their step mother throws them out when their father dies and they are left to start over. They can't leave the house so they keep going back to it.   It is a story of the bond between the siblings and the baggage they carry because of their mother, the house and their father.  It is just wonderful.  I thought about Danny and Maeve long after reading the last page.  Not sure it ended the way I wanted it to but the ending was the right ending.    So good.  Go read it!  NOW!
So, I made a Dutch Baby pancake.  It just felt like the right thing and to be honest, I had never made a dutch baby before.  So easy and delicious.


that's a lot of butter!  
Dutch Baby pancake
I used my blender to combine the ingredients
- 2 cups of milk
-4 eggs
- teaspoon of Vanilla
1 1/3 cup of flour
4-5 Tablespoons of sugar (depends on how sweet you want it)
1 stick of butter

topping - lemon juice and powered sugar

Take a 9X13 baking dish and put the stick of butter in it.  Put it in the oven at 400 degrees

Combine other ingredients in a blender.  Take the pan out when the butter is bubbling and not burned.
Poor the batter into the baking dish and cook for about 20-25 minutes.  You want the middle set.
I put lemon juice and powdered sugar on it but you could do strawberry's or blueberry's or even syrup.
nice eggy pancake!
the finished product! 

No comments:

Post a Comment