What now?

Food, drink and books. One often inspires the other. Together they are magic .



Saturday, February 9, 2013

French Macarons- the first attempt

Last week I attempted the French Macaron.
http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/almond-macarons.aspx


Egg whites
 
Lemon curd

I used the recipe on Fine Cooking partly because there is a video with it and it was pretty easy to follow.
I have always been intimidated by the Macaron.  I had heard it was difficult and that it takes ton's of practice.  I think for a first attempt they came out pretty good.



Couple of things- almond flour is expensive!  13.99 for a lb.  Also, I could not get the darn things flat!  Mine kept puffing up.  They look like little hamburgers.  But the taste was pretty darn good.  I did a lemon curd in the middle of half and a Chocolate Ganache in the other half.  I took them to work and everyone gobbled them up.  I would give them a B- for a first attempt.  It definitely got me inspired to try again.  This time with some color and flavor. 
I found this blog that has some helpful hints on making Macarons   http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2011/04/how-to-make-macarons-whats-working-for-me-right-now/

I'm going to try her suggestions on piping them and see if that works.  Based on her writing, it appears it takes most people a few trys. 

Could not get them flat!

The finished product.  A little hamburger with Chocolate Ganache

1 comment: