What now?

Food, drink and books. One often inspires the other. Together they are magic .



Saturday, August 14, 2021

Jane Austen #4 Retellings - Incense and Sensibility and Mango overnight oats

 Incense and Sensibility with Mango Overnight Oats-  I was so excited to read the 3rd book in the Raje series and it met all of my expectations!   This one is a retelling of Sense and Sensibility and just like her other two books, it holds it own as a great story with just hints of the classic mixed it.  I really enjoy this family.  This one is focused primarily on Yash Raje who is running for California Governor and India Dashwood an old family friend.  Similar to the classic, there is a passionate younger sister who falls in love fast and hard and gets her heartbroken.  India is a yoga instructor and very much in control of her emotions.  She is trying to support her family and help Yash who has come to her for help even though years ago he broke her heart.    

Just as with the other books, the characters are complex and interesting.  Sonali Dev's books are listed as romance novels but I'm not sure that is accurate.  Yes, there is romance and heartbreak but I think they are more family saga.   I didn't love the friend pretending to be the girlfriend storyline but understood why it was necessary.  Just found her irritating.  

Overall a really great read.  ⭐⭐⭐⭐

In the book, she makes overnight Mango oats.  Yash thinks he hates overnight oats but once he tries them , he can't stop eating them!   I also had made overnight oats a while back and didn't really love them.  It just felt like oats should be hot and not cold.  But, i'm willing to sacrifice for literature and tried it again.   Boy was I glad I did. 


I cut up a Mango and made puree.  Put the mango in a blender with a couple of tablespoons of water and blended it up.  Put that in the bottom of the jar.  In a bowl I mixed up old fashion oats with Oat milk, couple of tablespoons of maple syrup and some honey yogurt.  Spooned that over the mango puree and topped it with some cut up mango.   Refrigerated it for a day.  next morning....  It was delicious.  The cold oats didn't bother me and it was so yummy that I kind of wanted to eat both jars at one time.  I managed to save the 2nd jar for the next morning.   I will make this again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment