What now?

Food, drink and books. One often inspires the other. Together they are magic .



Friday, August 20, 2021

Beth and Amy - Squash Casserole

 Beth and Amy by Virginia Kantra 

I read this first book sometime ago and really enjoyed it. (link to first book) I'm a true sucker for all things Little Women . This is the 2nd book in the series and focused on Beth and Amy.  It's a modern retelling and the chapters flip back and forth between the two sisters.  I really enjoyed this one as Beth was my favorite character and Amy my least but....  after the most recent movie version of Little Women, I started to appreciate Amy and view her in a whole new light.   Amy is building a business in NYC and has comes home for Jo's wedding.



  She is hiding a secret from her sisters about Laurie.  I think we all know how that's going to end but I had fun getting there.  Beth's story was a bit different and I wasn't sure what was going to happen.  She is a country music star and suffering tremendous anxiety about life on tour but wants to stay with her famous boyfriend who, by the way, she made famous with her song writing.   Beth also has a secret from her sisters that I won't share here.  

Just like the original story, this story is about family and sisterhood but also about these women finding their way in the world.  Really enjoyed the two stories and how the story went back and forth.  Marmie is very different in this modern version and I like her.    You could read this book with very little knowledge f the classic and still really enjoy it.   I hope she continues the series!  ⭐⭐⭐⭐

I struggled a bit with the food.  To be honest no food stood out for me and sometimes i get into the story and forget to listen for it.  But, I have two Little Women Cookbooks so I decided to prepare one of the recipes listed.  I choose the squash casserole A) because I love Butternut Squash  B) it was a Beth recipe . 

This was super easy and pretty tasty.  BUT i'm not a big fan of nutmeg and next time I would leave that out.  I also felt like it could use a little pick me up so i'm wondering if saute onions might be a good addition.  I'm going to need to think about this and maybe play around with the recipe.  It's a good base to start with!    I used the Little Women Cookbook by Jenne Bergstrom and Miko Osada.  Below is a photo of the recipe.   

Enjoy








No comments:

Post a Comment