What now?

Food, drink and books. One often inspires the other. Together they are magic .



Sunday, February 28, 2021

February Wrap up and diversity in my reading

 Can't believe February is done!  I had another good reading month.  

6 books 

    2  Audio ,  4 book format , read 1785 pages.   

1 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

4 ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 ⭐⭐⭐

to be honest, I don't really finish a book that is less than 3 stars.  If it isn't going well, I close it down and start something else.  I just have too many books to keep reading.  2 of my 4 star books are probably more like 3.5 stars.  I really struggle with to round up or to round down!  I've only posted reviews for 2 of the 6 and will eventually get around the the rest. 

My favorite was House in the Cerulean Sea.  the weirdest was Convenience Store Woman!  I listened to that one on audio and the story is totally wacky but also the narrator was great and i really wanted to see where the store would lead.  Plus, now I'm super interested in going to Japan and seeing the Convenience stores ! 

I've been thinking a lot about diversity in my reading.  I think if you had asked me, I would have told you that my reading choices were super diverse.  But when I honestly dug in and looked at what books I've read over the past year that either the Author or the main character was BIPOC or the book was not based in North America or Western Europe, the list gets small. 

Over the past 5 years, I've read 145 books.   24 have been BIPOC or set in a non western setting.  That is only about 17% of my reading!   6 of the 24 have been this year!  So, my goal for the rest of the year is to be much more intentional about adding diverse titles to my list.  Not going to put a number on it now but will shoot for more than today!   

I currently have 3 books running which is tough.  I have over committed my self at work and signed up for 2 work book groups.  1 is a business book call Atomic Habits.   Really getting a lot out of that book and the other one is How to be an AntiRacist.  I've only done chapter 1 so I have a lot more to read.  

Also, reading The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue.  The bookstagram community loves that book so I am excited to read it.  Of course half of my library books on hold have all come in at the same time so i will be very busy for the next couple of week. 

Keep reading and stay safe! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment