What now?

Food, drink and books. One often inspires the other. Together they are magic .



Saturday, June 22, 2019

Elizabeth Gilbert and Cheryl Strayed

I first read Elizabeth Gilbert before her hit Eat Pray Love.  I read Stern Men when it came out.  I was working at B&N and picked it up for vacation.  Really liked it and moved on.  Years later, 2006 /2007 to be exact, i was going through a painful separation and read Eat Pray Love .  It spoke to me.  I thought I'd be just like Elizabeth Gilbert and travel and mediate and fall in love.  I highlighted passages and reread sections again and again.  Turns out I didn't travel or mediate or fall in love but I still hold that book dear to my heart.  I woke up last week and saw that she was in town giving a reading of her new book.  I grabbed a ticket and went!  I got an autographed book with the ticket and sat next to a delightful woman (also by herself) and found out she was moving to Richmond!  we talked about Richmond and Jobs and life.  Then Elizabeth came out and read and answered questions.  She is so wonderful.  She talked about faith and death and love.  It was a great evening.
 A few weeks earlier I had gone to the play- Tiny Beautiful Things.  It is based on the Cheryl Strayed book when she was an advice columnist , Dear Sugar.  I only discovered Cheryl Strayed a few years ago when i read Wild.  Another great book about a woman in a life changing place getting healthy and whole and figuring out who she is.  Loved the book  The play was sooooo  good.  It made me laugh and cry.  The big ugly cry.
Now, the cool thing is that Cheryl and Elizabeth are friends.  Just recently on their Instagram account they posted a photo of themselves having dinner together.  That makes me happy!
Also, i just love seeing plays created from great literature.  It is so interesting how a playwright interrupts the material.  One of my favorite types of theater!
Now excuse me while I go and start reading  Elizabeth's new book-  City of Girls!!



No comments:

Post a Comment