What now?

Food, drink and books. One often inspires the other. Together they are magic .



Monday, October 31, 2022

Acts of Violet served with Magic Bars

Acts of Violet by Margarita Montimore and served with Magic Bars 

I listened to this one on audio because I read the narration was outstanding.  That is true! 


This story is told through a series of Podcast, articles , letters and other documents.   The narrators do a great job and some of the time it really felt like I was listening to a true crime podcast!   This is the story of Violet Volk a magician who disappeared.  It is the story of her rise to fame as the most famous female magician ever, her relationships and then her sudden disappearance during a stage act.   We are now at the 10 year anniversary of her disappearance and her sister Sasha is still dealing with the aftermath.  But strange things start to happen to Sasha which she can't explain.  She is at a breaking point and not sure what to do.    We get to hear from her daughter, her therapist, Violet, Cameron the podcaster and multiple people who knew Violet.    

I thought this was super creative.  I wanted to know what happened and was totally invested in the relationship of the sisters.   My only complaint is that it dragged just a little bit in the middle.  I think we could have cut a few of the side characters who knew Violet.    Still, overall a great listen.  You do need to be willing to suspend belief because there is some magical realism here.   ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 

I served this book with Magic Bars!   I mean who doesn't love a magic bar?  it is graham crackers, chocolate, butterscotch, coconut.  All the good stuff soaked in sweetened condensed milk.   What's not to love? 



No comments:

Post a Comment