What now?

Food, drink and books. One often inspires the other. Together they are magic .



Thursday, June 16, 2022

The Marvellous Light served with Fish and Chips

The Marvellous Light by Freya Marske and served with Fish and Chips 

This was a fun one!  To be honest I bought this book because I loved the cover and the description intrigued me.  The cover is just so fabulous!  

Not exactly sure what genre I'd place this in...  Fantasy,  Romance, mystery.    It has a bit of all of that.  This is set in Edwardian England and it turns out there is a community of magicians that have gone unnoticed by the rest of the population.  We are introduced to it in chapter one and we see something really bad is happening.  Someone is being tortured to give away a secret.  Jump forward and non magical Robin is mistakenly assigned to the position to investigate magical circumstances.  He has no idea what that means!  We meet Edwin who is trying to figure out what happened to Robin's predecessor Reginald (Who was being tortured in chapter 1) .  Edwin is magical though he has some limits to what he can do.   We get pulled into this mystery of why was  Reginald being tortured, what was he hiding, where is this thing and why is someone now trying to kill Robin over it.   There is the magic, the mystery and a love story between the 2 main characters.   


This was really fun.  I enjoyed the magical element and found the romance lovely.  I was not expecting it to be so steamy.  To be honest I mainly read closed door romance and this was wide open door!  I think it might be my first romance between to male characters and it was perfect but maybe a bit graphic!  I enjoyed the yearning and longing from both characters and the sweet romance but maybe could have cut out some of the sex.  

I would have liked to have learned more about how big this magical world is and to maybe get to know some of the other characters a bit more.  I totally got confused by all of the people at Edwin's house and none of them really stood out.  I kept asking- who is that?   

Overall a solid ⭐⭐⭐⭐, fun, entertaining read.  I am looking forward to the sequel, A Restless Truth , due out in November. 

I knew i had to make something very English for this.  I went with Fish and Chips.  Well...  in this case, fish and tater tots.    I made them in the air fryer. 

https://bluejeanchef.com/recipes/beer-battered-fish/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest&utm_campaign=tailwind_tribes&utm_content=tribes&utm_term=1031574406_47865340_220701

thought this recipe was okay but not the best.  Felt like it needed a bit more flavor.  AND i did not coat it enough with cooking spray and the entire bottom stuck to the tray and tore off when i removed it. 


paired with with some tater tots, not homemade, and a lovely ale.  

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment