What now?

Food, drink and books. One often inspires the other. Together they are magic .



Friday, March 18, 2022

Epistolary Novels #4 Love and Saffron served with Mussels in a Saffron sauce

Love and Saffron by Kim Fay and served with Mussels in a Saffron sauce. 

You know my love of the Epistolary Novel!  I've shared it many times.  This book checked every box for me.  It is letters between 2 women who become friends through the mail in the 60's.   Imogen lives on Camano Island in the PNW and writes a monthly column in a magazine.  Joan lives in LA and writes her a fan letter which starts the friendship.  Joan is young and still finding her voice as a writer and exploring food.  They discuss the foods of the PNW and of LA.  Joan introduces Imogen to Mexican food and new flavors and spices.  Within their letters, secrets are shared and dreams and heartbreak.  Imogen's husband is inspired by the food and the smells and that changes their relationship. Joan meets someone but is worried that society will not embrace her choice.   

I love all of the food talk.  Today I am so spoiled and have exposure to so many different foods and cultures but in the 60's and 70's that wasn't the case.  These women are learning and growing and exploring new experiences.  Oh how wonderful to explore for the first time!   Their curiosity and pleasure in the new experience is fun to read.   

This is a short novel and I read it in a day.  I went back and read parts again because i just wanted to soak in the food.   I will not share too much but i do recommend a box of tissues nearby when you read it.  

this is ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ for me.  I just loved it and recommend it for anyone looking for a quick, lovely read on friendship and food.  

I knew i wanted to make mussels in saffron since that is what starts the friendship.  Mussels are super popular in the PNW and i have learned to love them during my 10 years.  I had never used saffron and realized the cost was probably one of the reasons!  $25 for a small container. 





I went with Martha Stewarts recipe because...  it's Martha Stewart! 

https://www.marthastewart.com/951456/steamed-mussels-wine-and-saffron?xsc=eml_msc_2012_11_26&om_rid=NlBBaI&om_mid=_BQs9hWB8vS8%24pV

OMG ,  so good!  I have plenty of saffron left so I plan to make this multiple times.  I only used just under a full lb of  mussels (I'm just one person) and her recipe calls for 3 lbs.  I went ahead and made the full amount of broth because i wanted extra broth.  Glad I did.  I had some sourdough bread I toasted and it was so perfect!  I almost ate all of it in one sitting!   




1 comment: