What now?

Food, drink and books. One often inspires the other. Together they are magic .



Sunday, November 21, 2021

Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and finger foods

Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo served with Tik Tok pasta chips.  

 I'm a little late with this review but wanted to go ahead and post.  I kept seeing the 7 Husbands all over Bookstagram and decided to make it a summer listening on audibles.   So glad I did!   This was my first Taylor Jenkins Reid book and I think i need to read her others now.  


This is the story of Evelyn Hugo telling her life story to a young journalist.  She has never revealed her secrets and chooses an unknown  for the job.  Monique can't figure out why she is invited into Evelyn's life but she recognizes an amazing opportunity and takes it.    

Evelyn is a Hollywood Icon who just happens to have married 7 times.  Her story is her journey to fame and all of her loves along the way.  And yes, there is one true love but to be honest I think she loves each husband in her own way.  She isn't always likable and is honest about the things she did to get ahead in her career.  A totally flawed character but you also understand her and what drove each of those decisions.  By the end you understand her connection to Monique.  It actually caught me by surprise as i didn't see it coming.   

I really loved this book.  The narrators were great. There are 3 that read, 1 for Evelyn's story, 1 for Monique's story and 1 who is the newspaper articles about Evelyn and Hollywood gossip.   This was 4.5 stars for me.  I think the only reason i'm withholding that half star is that there was a spot in the middle where I thought it dragged just a bit.  I was like....  okay, let's get going here.  Besides that it was delightful!  I highly recommend it, especially the audio. 




I knew I wanted to do finger foods/ appetizers.  Every year when I watch the Academy awards, i do a spread of appetizers and that is dinner on Oscar night.  When i was much younger, I would host friends and we'd all dress up and have a party while watching.  Now I barely go to the movies (actually I haven't since COVID started)  and most of the time i haven't see what is nominated.  But it is still fun to watch if just for the outfits.  I decided to make the Tik Tok pasta chips i kept seeing on my feed.  Okay, here's the thing...   they were not good.  Not sure if i did it wrong but I did NOT like them.  It was a waste of perfectly good pasta.  I'll let you look up the recipe but eating crunchy pasta is not my thing.  I would say....  skip the pasta but read the book!  Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment