What now?

Food, drink and books. One often inspires the other. Together they are magic .



Sunday, April 18, 2021

The Classics- Room with a View and Scones!

 I joined the Patreon account for one of my favorite podcast- A Strong Sense of Place and this weekend they did their first book group discussion.   They sent us all a copy of A Room with a View and a box of tea.  I had never read the book and remembered the movie slightly from seeing it 30 years ago! 


 I ended up finding it on Audibles for free and listened to it while walking this week.   So, first a few thoughts on the book.  The narrator of the audio version is OUTSTANDING!   Her name is Rebecca Hall and I would listen to anything she reads.  She made it super enjoyable.  I went back to the actual book a few times but just didn't find it as exciting as the audio version.  Second, I didn't love the story.  I liked it okay and I think he was making some statements at the time about classes in England and women being more independent and free thinking.  All of that is good but I still didn't love the story.  I think if i was in school and we were discussing novels set in that time and the role of women in literature, it would be fabulous.  And third, I think this is one case where the movie is actually better than the book.  That doesn't happen often but the movie is so beautiful and it is super faithful to the book and for some reason the fact that they fall in love in like 5 minutes, didn't bother me as much.    Still glad I read it as I feel like I haven't read that many classics and I've been wanting to add classics to my reading agenda.  ✅


Now, the book group discussion was totally fun.  I was only able to stay on for the first hour because I had a #@% work thing come up which was a drag.  But, I got to meet our delightful host and some of the other members of the Pateron communities.  I will say that 3 super positive things to come out of COVID are - Bookstagram,  Podcast and Pateron.   I get to support my favorite podcast with a small monthly donation and in exchange you become part of a community of booklovers.  Totally worth it. 

Also, one of the members posted a yummy recipe for Scones and I made them that morning right before the gathering.   They were delicious and went well with my English Breakfast tea.  

Here is the recipe , listen to Strong Sense of Place and think about reading a classic this year! 

Recipe for Tomi's Scones posted by Emily Kerr 

2 Cups of Flour 

1 Tablespoon of Baking powder 

1/2 teaspoon salt 

1/4 cup of Sugar 

1 cup dried fruit or Chocolate chips-  I did both- 1/2 cup chocolate Chips and 1/2 cup dried cherries 

1 1/4 cup of Heavy Cream 

Melted butter and sugar for topping (I used turbinado sugar) 

Oven 425.  Ungreased pan .   Mix dry ingredients and add fruit and chips.   Pour in cream and mix until dough sticks together.  It will be sticky.  Dump out on a floured surface and knead 8-9 times.  Pat down into a 10 inch circle.  Cut into 12 wedges.  (I only got 10 wedges from mine but maybe i had it too thick) Brush on melted butter and sprinkle with sugar .  Bake 15 minutes.  




1 comment:

  1. BETH! I'm so glad you were able to join us for a while. We're going to post the video of our session on Patreon, so you'll be able to see and hear the rest of the conversation. Can't wait until our next event. Thank you SO VERY MUCH for all of our support. It means a lot yo us!

    ReplyDelete