What now?

Food, drink and books. One often inspires the other. Together they are magic .



Sunday, March 21, 2021

The Supper Club- Book 1 and 2.

 I love books about food so when I heard about this series, I jumped on it!   3 books all around friendship and food.  What's not to love?  I've read the first 2 books- The Saturday Night Supper Club and Brunch at the Bittersweet Cafe by Carl Laureano.   The only reason I haven't read book 3 is that my library doesn't have it yet.  I might just have to breakdown and buy it which I have sworn off buying books until I read some of what I have! 

Here is the review for both books- fun, easy read, nice romance but not mushy, lots of food and lots of friendship.   Really just an easy read which is what I need sometimes.   When life get stressful you just want something to take your mind off of it.  In the first book, Rachel is a top chef in Denver.  Alex writes an editorial about women chefs and Rachel makes a few comments that don't land well with the public.  Suddenly her career is in jeopardy and she has lost her restaurant.  Of course he feels terrible and wants to help fix the mess.  Now, I think we all know where this is going to end up.  But it is still super fun getting there.   They start a pop up dinner club which becomes the talk of Denver and suddenly she has a new opportunity.   But she has doubts about him and if she can have a relationship and be a chef.  Throughout the entire book her 2 best friends are there by her side.   

Book 2 is about one of those friends!  Melody was the pastry chef at the Denver restaurant and she is now wasting away in a bakery making someone else's pastries.   Melody is a dater and always looking for the perfect man.   Turns out he may have wandered into the bakery one night during a snowstorm.  But he has plans to leave town and move to Florida so she knows not to get attached.  Meanwhile she finds a location and with her friend Rachel, they decide to open a bakery cafe.  She will get a chance to make her own food again.   As with book number 1, I knew where this would end up but I sure did enjoy getting there.  The food made me hungry and the story was just such an fun read. 

Book 3 is going to be about the last friend and it sounds like she is going into the coffee business!  How perfect is that?     

I gave both books 4 stars because I really enjoyed them and they came at me at the perfect time.  Here is the thing I didn't know.  These books are listed as Christian Fiction.  I didn't even know there was a category called Christian fiction and if I had known, not sure I would have read them.   I would have been afraid of some kind of preaching that I don't want in my books.  But, if i had to describe what makes them Christian fiction, I'd say that there is no sex and there is some conversation on faith and what it means to the characters.   Don't get me wrong, there is romance and sexual tension but no steamy scenes if that is what you want.   I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that that they were listed in this category.     So, if you are looking for a lovely romance that has a food focus and strong women and strong women friendships, give these a try. 

Now, for the food, I didn't do anything fancy but yummy!   I made a delicious Banana's foster french toast for the brunch book.   


I happen to make a loaf of sourdough yesterday so I took 3 slices and soaked them in egg, heavy cream and a bit of vanilla.   While the bread was soaking, I heated up some butter and brown sugar and added 2 bananas.  Oh my!   So good.  And so easy.   I only ate 2 of the 3 slices because I was stuffed but it was delicious.  

For the Supper club, I made what would probably be the dinner I would serve should we ever have people in our houses again.   I made salmon in the air fryer (I'm crazy about my air fryer).  I coated it with butter and sprinkled it with paprika and garlic powder.   So good.   And then did air fryer brussel sprouts.   Shook them up with some olive oil, some ranch seasoning and salt and pepper.   Like I said, not fancy but so good.    

Enjoy and keep reading!     

 









No comments:

Post a Comment