What now?

Food, drink and books. One often inspires the other. Together they are magic .



Thursday, January 14, 2021

With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo and Spanish Rice

 I'm starting 2021 off with a bang.  4 books read and it is only halfway through January!  I actually started this book back in November.  But, twice I put it down and read other books.  I really liked the story but there isn't a lot that happens.  It is very character driven.   Emoni Santiago is a senior in high school and has a baby to take care of and a grandmother to support.   It is a story of her life, her senior year of high school, tough decisions she has to make, a new boy in her life and her passion in life-  Cooking!  

I liked the writing style and how each chapter was like a little view of her world.  I think I heard about this book in an article about books that focus on food.  She made me super hungry for good mexican food which i haven't had in a while.   I also really liked the cultural piece of learning about her background and the joy she had with her daughter .   

But, it didn't hold my interest in the beginning.  I read maybe the first 50 pages and then put it down for a month.  Came back to it and read maybe another 50 pages.  Finally, in January I came back again and finished it up.  The 2nd half moved much quicker. 

So, ⭐⭐⭐⭐ but probably closer to 3.5.  Great character, full of wonderful flavors, loved the writing but just a little slow in the first half.     Pick it up if you love a good food book or love a character driven story with really rich characters.  


Because she did make me hungry, I made Spanish Rice. Super easy to make and a great side dish!  

I ate it with grilled Chicken but i'm sure you can come up with something more delicious!  

Enjoy

Spanish Rice 

  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 ½ cups long grain white rice
  • ½ cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 bell pepper finely diced
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 14.5 ounce fire roasted diced tomatoes, not drained
  • 8 ounce can tomato sauce
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon cumin 

  • In a large pan that has a lid or skillet that has a lid, melt the butter with the olive oil.Add the rice, onion and bell pepper and cook over medium to medium-high heat until the rice is golden brown and vegetables are tender. Stir frequently. It takes about 15-20 minutes.
  • Add the garlic and stir and cook for about 1 minute.Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, salt, pepper, chili powder, paprika and cumin. Stir well.Bring to a boil and then cover. 
  • Reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.Let the rice sit covered for 5-10 minutes before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment