What now?

Food, drink and books. One often inspires the other. Together they are magic .



Saturday, February 26, 2022

The Book of Magic served with Tipsy Cake

The Book of Magic by Alice Hoffman served with Tipsy Cake  

I am a little sad to finish the Practical Magic Series.  I read the first book years ago and just finished book 4, the end of the series.   I loved all of these books as I adore almost everything Alice Hoffman writes.  


In the Book of Magic we pick up the story of the Owens women  bringing together 3 generations to finally break the curse that Maria Owens started.  The family has been cursed in love and over the years have tried to outrun it or to trick it.    On the first page we learn that Jett is hearing the death beetle and knows her time is up.   That event opens up the  family secrets .  We travel to Paris and London and meet up with their long lost brother Vincent.  It is there that Kylie goes to break  the curse and to save her one great love and Sally must do everything in her power to save her daughter.     I can't really tell more without giving away too much. 

I just love these characters.   In the beginning Sally was not a favorite but by the end I just loved her.  We get to see each woman and understand her special magic and her love.   I enjoy how we move from one character to the next all while tracking this story of the curse and what they are willing to do to break the curse.   I was sad to end the book and might just have to reread them next year.  I read them in the order they were published but would now be interested in reading them following the timeline of the story.  

I highly recommend this as the series finale.  I'm sure you could read it as a stand alone book but i think know what has come before is helpful.  

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 

I knew i was going to make a Tipsy Cake.  They talk about Tipsy cake all through the book.   It is made on birthdays and weddings and funerals.   I googled on line, Tipsy Cake, and actually got a recipe!  It appears that Costco published a recipe with the release of this book.  It sounded good so I made it.  It was good!  It was nice and chocolatey with a slight hint of Rum. https://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/201710?pg=88#pg88

and as Franny says - "If you can't eat chcolate cake for breakfast, what is the point of being alive!"  Enjoy 









No comments:

Post a Comment